Saturday, March 2, 2013

A day in my life

Kelly's Korner, my favorite blog, is hosting a "Show Us Your Life" blog party where you show a typical day. I thought I would participate, so that when the babies are all grown and gone, I'll remember what I did. Every day is a little different, so I pick Monday.

Just another (not so) manic Monday!

6:45 a.m.-Alarm goes off. Mike has been gone for an hour, but thankfully is a very quiet morning person. I get up, stagger into Olivia's room and make sure she is getting ready. Since she's "grown up", she usually gets up about 6 to curl her hair, change clothes 7 times, etc.

6:50 a.m.-I go to the kitchen, make a SPARK, and take my vitamins. In about 5 minutes, I start feeling human and usually go back to Olivia's room and chat with her while she eats her breakfast (in her room, yes, I'm a horrible mother).

7:10 a.m.-I stand outside and watch for the bus. On the mornings Mike is home (Tuesday-Friday), he usually takes her to school, but Monday is a bus day. I will not wake up two sleeping babies just so she can avoid public transit. When I see it coming in the horizon, I stick my head inside and tell her and she heads out to meet it.

 Occasionally, she will actually come outside and wait on the bus with me :)

7:15 a.m.-If I'm lucky (and I usually am), both boys are still asleep, so I fix myself a Meal Replacement shake and get a start on chores. I unload the dishwasher, put breakfast dishes in the dishwasher, wipe down counters, and make my bed. I start a load of laundry and sweep the floors, if needed. This is normally the time I check fb, Instagram, and Pinterest.

8-8:30 a.m.-The boys begin waking up. I change Matt's diaper, remind Phillip to go potty and sit them down for breakfast. They usually have yogurt and fruit, though some morning we mix it up. They happily eat, I wash everyone up and put fresh clothes on them (usually fresh pjs, we stay in pjs when we're home, it  makes us happy).

9 a.m.-Get Matt interested in a toy (usually the train) and I help Phillip do his chores. He gets super excited when he gets a smiley face on his chore chart, so it goes pretty quickly. It's time to swap out the laundry, and he helps with that.



9:30 a.m.-Sit down with the boys and put on a movie or episode of Spiderman on Netflix. They both tend to be pretty low key in the mornings, so we get our TV time in then. They never "just" watch TV, usually we're playing toys, reading a book, or just being silly too :)

10:30 a.m.-Start thinking about lunch. Fold laundry that was done this morning and put in another load (it never ends!). I also straighten up bedrooms during this time. The boys play or color.

11:00 a.m.-Lunch time for Matt. He will eat something and then go down for a 3 hour nap (GLORY!). I take my before lunch vitamins and make sure I'm on target with my water consumption so far.

Even if Phillip won't eat with him, his faithful companion Lucky will!


12:00 p.m.-Lunch time for me (and sometimes Phil). He's not a big eater, so usually a bite or two is all we get down him. Sometimes, after lunch he'll take a nap, sometimes he won't. I insist that he lays down for a little while just to rest and regroup.

1:00 p.m.-Phil is up and we work on a project together. It might be preschool stuff or a craft project, but I make sure we do something one on one, as he is the child that gets lost in the shuffle sometimes.

2-2:30 p.m.-The laundry continues to cycle through, and Matt wakes up. A fresh diaper for him and an afternoon snack for both boys. They both come to life in the afternoon, so there is much sword fighting, imaginative play, and superhero talk. I let them play on their own, unless a referee is needed. Having two in two years pays off during playtime. They amuse each other greatly!

 Waiting for "sister" to get home.

3:00 p.m.-Work on housework, drink another SPARK, do dinner prep, and put together a snack for Livi, if she's coming home. Most days lately, she has play practice. If she comes home, she rides the bus and gets in about 3:45. We talk about her day, she snacks, and then starts on homework (which she rarely has) and her chores.

4:00 p.m.-Check with Mike. Usually he's headed home by now, but if he has a new hire or is super busy, he's still at work. I schedule dinner accordingly. Olivia is usually around, chatting or showing me something funny on Youtube.

5:00 p.m.-Netflix back on for the boys. They're usually still playing, but I'm about to get serious about making dinner and if I don't have a distraction, they'll both be under foot. I try to involve them when I can, but Matt is still too little to do much.

Occasionally, "sister" will entertain them while I cook.

6:00 p.m.-Everyone is home and we have a nice dinner. By nice, I mean Matt is screaming to eat before it's on the table, Olivia is fussing about having to set the table, Mike is trying to coax Phillip into eating something and I'm just happy to be sitting down.

6:30 p.m.-Olivia cleans up after dinner (child abuse!) and Mike gives the boys their baths. I go sit in my chair in our room and stare at the wall, relishing the silence. I wish I was kidding, but it is what I do. For fifteen minutes. Then, I help Mike get the boys in their PJs and we do something together as a family.

7:30 p.m.-Brush boys' teeth, read a book, and start winding them down for bed.


8 p.m.-Boys are in bed, and we spend some time with just Olivia. Usually we watch a show on Netflix that we all like or just talk.

9 p.m.-Olivia gets ready for bed and Mike and I work on any chores that are not done yet.

 Sometimes, Olivia gets a nighttime visitor. She's sweet to let him stay (usually).

10 p.m.-Bedtime! We used to stay up to 12 p.m. or later, but we just can't do it anymore. Three kids + middle age has made us anti-night owls :)

So, that's a super exciting Monday in my world. It's mundane, but honestly, it's one of my favorite days of the week. I get a lot accomplished and spend the days happily in my nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment